POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : blob2 : Re: blob2 patch now available Server Time
28 Jun 2024 14:45:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blob2 patch now available
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 Jul 2003 05:12:15
Message: <3F17B9EE.C33CC1F4@gmx.de>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> Was I wrong in thinking there were people interested in this?
>
> It's odd, there've been other threads about improving the blob object,
> exponential blobs, etc. But now that there's an actual working patch
> fixing several of these problems, there's not even a hint of interest?

Well, i think there is quite some interest but there are also problems
that might not seem that obvious to you:

1) Good documentation is the key to successful patches.  This especially
applies for end user documentation but also to source comments.  I had a
look at the source and have to say i don't really understand much.  I
would strongly suggest you at least write something about the used
techniques, especially how it differs from the isosurface intersection
method.  I for example don't really understand why this patch is a
separate object and not a special function for using in isosurfaces (which
would have a lot of advantages for the user).

2) Most patches that became popular in the past were in a more or less
'finished' state.  This does not mean they were perfect but bugs and
insufficiencies were manageable.  I know this patch is still quite new but
you have the tendency to leave patches unfinished (i would for example
have loved to include your 'g' function patch in MegaPOV 1.0).  I have not
tested this blob2 in detail but you write that there are quite some things
that need work.

3) A compiled version for the most important platforms is very important.
As i have previously said you are very welcome to offer your patches for
inclusion in MegaPOV.  Of course there is no new version at the moment
(you know why) so i understand you are releasing it separately.  Of course
this is also related to the other points - for inclusion in MegaPOV some
work on the documentation would be required at least.

Christoph

Last updated 17 Jun. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______